Bacon Mac and cheese is a delicious twist to our good old Box Mac and cheese. It's the same Mac and cheese you love but even better. Bacon makes everything better.
Mac and cheese is an all time kiddies favorite here in the states. I never had Mac and cheese growing up but we had something similar which is delicious and equally tasty. That's my mom's creamy spaghetti recipe. The irony... was I never liked mom's creamy spaghetti as a child because the milk in the spaghetti didn't quite excite my taste buds. But as i grew older, I acquired the taste and now it's one of my favorite ways to make spaghetti.
Just like every American kid I know. Mac and cheese is the dish to make them happy. I usually have a few boxes of Mac and cheese in my pantry which I reserve for lazy week night dinners. Sometimes I make it plain. Other times I make this bacon Mac and cheese.
Some days I feel like a pro and I ditch the store bought box and make it from scratch but trust me most days I make this bacon Mac and cheese or plain Mac and cheese on days I am not just up to cooking haha. Another recipe I make when I am feeling pro is my veggie fried macaroni aka macaroni stir fry. That's a must try if you love Nigerian fried rice.
It's fast prep and gets ready in no time, so why not? ?
Pro tip for making bacon Mac and cheese
- I use smoked bacon crumbles to save time
- Make sure to use unsalted butter so you don't get a salty dish
- Boil the macaroni till it's al dente. A mushy Mac and cheese may not be a favorite
This Bacon Mac and cheese recipe is always a hit in my home. The kiddos love it. And it definitely is a change from their regular mac and cheese.
Hope you try it out and let me know if it hit the right spot in your home too. We always love to hear from you.
Prep Time: 2 mins. Yield: 3 servings
Cook time: 12 mins. Pot Size: 2 quart
- Your favorite 7.25oz box of mac and cheese I buy mine from Aldi
- mac and cheese mix in the box
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup bacon bits or crumbles*
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ whole milk
*if you don't like bacon, corned beef is a great alternative.
- Pour 3 cups of water into a 2 quart
- Bring water to a boil
- Pour in the macaroni and allow to cook for about 8 mins or until soft but not mushy
- Drain the macaroni in a colander but don't rinse
- Place the sauce pan back on the stove, pour in the milk, butter, Mac and cheese spice, onion powder and bacon bits (or corned beef pieces) bring to a slow boil and turn off heat after about 2 mins.
- Mix in the drained macaroni and this creamy deliciousness is ready.
- Delve in. Yum!!
[…] Bacon Mac and Cheese […]