This Easy shrimp fried rice recipe is tasty, and perfect for lunch or dinner. Loaded with shrimps and vegetables you've got to agree with me that this recipe is worth the calories. It's one side dish you won't forget in a hurry. If you have been typing 'shrimp fried rice near me' in your search bar then drop all else and join me in my virtual kitchen so I can show you exactly how to make it.
What is Shrimp fried rice? How does it differ from others?
Good question! With a variety of fried rice recipes on the web and a fair share right here on my Diaspora Kitchen blog, it's truly a great question.
Shrimp fried rice as the name implies simply means fried rice made with shrimps as the main source of protein and It could be either the Chinese version or African version.
Ingredients & Tools
- Shrimps (I like to use frozen cooked shrimps)
- Chicken stock
- White pepper
- Dry Oregano
- Garlic powder
- Curry powder
How to Make Shrimp fried rice.
There are two methods to making fried rice, the Nigerian style and the Asian style. I would share the difference between both methods in a bit.
Step 1: Cook Rice in Chicken stock with additional spices added to taste.
Step 2: Sauté onions, add shrimps fry till slightly crisp.
Step 3: Add the mixed vegetables, season to taste. Then mixed in the rice
Shrimp fried rice Chinese.
Nigerian fried rice is different from Asian fried rice. Chinese fried rice gets ready in less time than the Nigerian rice because it uses cooked white rice.
Chinese rice recipe usually contain scrambled eggs and soy sauce. Those are basically the major differences. As a recap see infographic below, which you are free to share by the way.
[bctt tweet="craving fried rice?? Come join us ?" username="mydiasporakitch"]
Quick Recipe Notes and Tips
- I used frozen cooked shrimps in this recipe. If you are using fresh shrimps, clean them thoroughly then fry till pink or to your desired level of doneness. Do not over cook so it doesn't become chewy.
- While stir frying the vegetables, it is important to season it as well so it doesn't taste bland when combined with the rice.
Did you find this tutorial helpful? It would be nice to share with friends and family. Did you try this recipe? Awesome!!! Rate the recipe and share your experience with us and other readers by dropping a comment below.
PS: Want the recipe for those juicy drumsticks? Get it here. It tastes simply amazing ?
PIN! PIN! PIN!
Easy Shrimp Fried Rice
- 3 cups Parboiled long grain Rice like Basmati (washed thoroughly and drained)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 habenero peppers
- 4 cups chicken stock
- salt/bouillon to taste
- 3 cups frozen mixed veggies ( thawed and drained )
- ½ cup cooking oil
- ¾ lb Frozen Shrimps (thawed and dabbed dry with paper towel)
- 1 small Green bell pepper
- Pour chicken stock into a pot with washed and drained rice
- Cook rice till all the water is absorbed. Takes about 25mins
- Turn off heat and leave the pot covered for about 5 mins
- While rice is cooking, Heat up cooking oil in a large skillet, sauté the onion, add pepper and shrimps. cook for about a minute. then stir in the mixed veggies, and chopped green bell pepper.
- Season with some bouillon, stir fry till the moisture dries out and the veggies are crisp but not burnt.
- Mix the stir fried veggies with the rice till evenly incorporated. Be carful not to mash up the rice when turning