Soaked Garri 'cereal' is definitely a must try for anyone visiting Nigeria for the first time but if you don't intend visiting Nigeria soon, this recipe will take you on an amazing Journey to my home country. Please join me ?
Garri is pan fried cassava flakes which is very popular in West Africa. Garri is usually eaten in 3 ways,
1. Soaked Garri Team A: as a cold 'beverage' with ice cold water and sugar plus or minus roasted groundnuts
2. Soaked Garri Team B: as a 'cereal' where it is made with lukewarm water some milk and sugar plus or minus roasted groundnuts.
3. It is consumed as eba where it is made with boiling hot water and eaten with any Nigerian soup of your choice.
In the past Garri used to be associated with poverty. It was occasionally referred to as ' a poor man's food) I really don't know why but I am guessing it's because of the ability of soaked Garri to double in size ? That way Garri can be economical and helps stretch your bucks. ??
Well I don't know about that but all I know is we all enjoyed our soaked garri 'Cereal.
Now there is a bit of a divide as to how best to enjoy this legendary Nigerian 'cereal' some prefer the pure unadulterated version with just cold water,sugar and some roasted groundnuts. Let's label them Team A
Others love it with milk just like you would have any other cereal. Garri, water, powdered milk and sugar. ( its best with powdered milk.) that's my team. Team B for the win.
This post is focused on non-Nigerians because I doubt if there is any Nigerian who hasn't heard of this legendary Nigerian 'cereal' aka soakis or soaked garri ?. This is also a staple provision in most boarding houses (at least when I was in boarding school it was).
Pro Tip. The best Garri to use to make this soaked Garri 'cereal' is the Ijebu Garri variety. It's sour so the sugar or sugar and milk as the case may be gives it a sweet and sour taste which is to die for.
How to make 'drinking garri / soaked Garri'
Like traditional cereal, it's super easy to make.
Put some Garri in a bowl, pour in some water way above the level of the Garri
Sieve our the floating particles.
Add more water, some ice cubes, sugar / sweetener, groundnuts and enjoy
What can you eat with soaked garri?
It compliments a number Nigerian dishes like the ones below.
Roasted groundnuts like we did in this post.
Hope you will be making your soaked Garri 'cereal' soon enough. For Garri veterans which team do you belong to. TEAM A
or TEAM B. Let us know in the comment below. Like I said I am unapologetically team B.
PIN! PIN! PIN
- ¼ cup Garri
- 3 cups water
- Some ice cubes optional
- 3 cubes of Sugar / 1 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp Powdered milk optional
- Pinch of salt optional
- ¼ cup roasted groundnuts optional
- ¼ cup coconut
- Strawberries & blueberries not traditional but worth a try
- Pour water into the cereal bowl containing the dry Garri.
- Sieve out any particle that floats
- Pour more fresh water into the Garri
- Then add sugar, pinch of salt (milk if using)
- Add the groundnuts or any other topping you prefer. Then relax and enjoy ?
- Garri swells up quickly so start with a small quantity if you are eating this alone so you don't find yourself wasting food.
- If you are vegan. Just skip the addition of the milk. I really don't think it will work with almond milk because it isn't as creamy. But you can give it a try though.