As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This Nigerian Flag Patriotic Cookies is one of the yum ways to celebrate Oct 1st
In case you are wondering what Oct 1st is all about. It’s our great country Nigeria’s ?? independence. So what better way to celebrate our great nation besides placing us in God’s hands than using our national colors to edible use. Remember food brings people and nations together so let’s get creative with our national colors green-white-green.
Related postsCelebrate Nigerian independence with these amazing Nigerian Patriotic Cookies. easy to make and a delight to behold and eat.. Click To Tweet
How to make these Nigerian Flag Patriotic Cookies ??
I really can’t take credit for this idea. My 7 yr old thought of it. I was going to make them green and white in fact I had cut most of them out that way until she said mommy why don’t you add sticks to them and make them into flags ? Proud of my little helpers ??
I used my lime cookie recipe for the green dough and my vanilla cut out cookie recipe for the ‘white’ dough.
My lime cookie dough which is based on the use of lime flavored gelatin is the star recipe for today. You can use green apple flavored gelatin as a substitute to lime flavored gelatin. But if you prefer not to use gelatin in the cookie, either because you don’t like it or it’s not easily accessible to you, you can always dye the vanilla cookie dough with green food coloring.
The lime cookie won’t be as dark as the original green of the Nigerian Flag, I didn’t mind it but if you would prefer a darker green, you can add some green food color to the lime cook dough
Process Shots on how to make these adorable Nigerian Flag Patriotic Cookies
What you need to make these Nigerian Flag Patriotic Cookies
Two colors of cookie dough
Green food color (optional)
Lime or green apple gelatin (optional)
Oct 1st is around the corner so let’s get baking so we can wow our family and friends. If you enjoyed this post. Please share using the share buttons below. Thank you for your support ❤️
Happy Independence Nigeria!!!
PIN! PIN! PIN!
Nigerian Flag Patriotic Cookies
For the plain dough
- 1 batch of my easy cookie recipe same recipe below but without the lime gelatin
For the colored dough
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3oz packet lime or green apple flavored gelatin
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all purpose flour
Make the cookie dough
- Measure out the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Using your hand mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, Beat butter and sugar and lime gelatin (if using) together till light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix till it all comes together in a ball.
Assembling the cookie dough to create pattern
- Divide the green dough into two
- Divide the plain dough into two and keep the second half in the refrigerator for later use.
- Line a loaf pan with double Saran Wrap make sure it hangs over the side it will help you pull it the dough out later
- Shape one half of the green dough into a rectangle as close to the size of the loaf pan as possible. Then press it into the lined pan. Smoothen with your fingers. Lightly moisten the top with water or egg wash
- Repeat process above for plain dough and then the second half of the green dough.
- It will be in this order green-plain-green. Pls refer to process shots in the blog post.
- Refrigerate for up to an hour till firm
Making the flag
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Using the over hanging Saran Wrap, pull out the dough from the loaf pan.
- With a knife, Cut the dough horizontally, to have 2 equal parts then cut it vertically into thick cuts about 1/2 an inch ( to accommodate the skewers )
- Lay the cut out cookie on the cookie sheet and gently insert the skewers.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 15minutes
- Bring it out and let cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 mins then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely
- If you don't want to make these into little flags just bake without the skewers.
- Cookies can easily go from baked to burnt so I recommend using a timer. I always use my timer while I bake. Especially for cookies.
- You don't have to make lime cookies to get a green dough you can always use a good quality green food color to color your plain cookie dough ( I prefer using the gel food colors )
- If you decide to use the green food color instead of the lime gelatin, then you won't need to make 2 cookie flavors. Simply make a single batch of the plain cookie dough, divide into three equal parts. Color two parts with the green food colorant leave the third part plain. then assemble in the same order as above.
- The Saran Wrap is very important. Do not skip it, and Do not use parchment paper as an alternative because it will rip when you are trying to get the dough out of the loaf pan.