As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Thumbprint Cookies are a classic Christmas cookie. They are delicious and easy to make.
What are Thumbprint Cookies
Thumbprint Cookies which is what Americans call these cookies is said to have originated from Sweden where it is called Hallongrotta which means raspberry cave in Swedish. It is so called because of the indentation at the center of the cookies filled With fruit jam or preserve. Hallongrotta refers to a cookie while Hallongottor refers to cookies. It is usually served with coffee or tea for an afternoon tea party in Sweden.
This cookie is usually a made with vanilla based cookie dough. There are also different variations of Thumbprint Cookies. Today I will be making an egg free version with my shortbread cookie dough.
What do you need to make Thumbprint Cookies?
For this eggless Thumbprint cookie all you need will be.
- All Purpose Flour
- Vanilla extract
- Strawberry Jam or any fruit jam of choice.
How to make the indentation in the cookie for the Thumbprint Cookies.
As the name implies the indentation is traditionally made with your thumb see Pictorial below. But alternatively you can make the indentation with the back of a rounded measuring spoon. But that would be cheating and not a ‘Thumbprint cookie” ? just kidding!
Mold the cookie into 1 oz (29gm) balls then indent with your finger in your palm or on the baking sheet
Tips to making the perfect Thumbprint Cookies
- Butter should be cold but not firm
- Chill dough for about 30 mins before molding into 1oz balls.
- Jam should be room temperature so that it isn’t stiff when scooping into the Thumbprints. (If you forget to get it out of the refrigerator to warm up, you can always pop it into the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up.)
This cookie recipe is the first in my learn make and share cookie series for Christmas. I Hope you get to try to these egg free thumbprint Cookies this season with your loved ones. Remember to share this post with your friends and family.❤️
Can’t wait to share tomorrow’s cookie recipe with you. Watch out for it.
PIN! PIN! PIN!
Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies
- 3/4 cup Butter 12 Tbsp/ a stick and half
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1-3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Cream butter and sugar together till well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract then add flour and mix till it comes together in a ball. About a minute.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 30mins
- Bring out from refrigerator after 30mins then mold into 1 oz balls. Then smoothen the balls.
- Indent the balls with your thumb (see pictures in post.)
- Scoop about 1/2 -1 tsp of strawberry jam into the indents.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 mins ( until the edges begin to brown)
- Let cool then enjoy.
- I like to measure the balls to make sure they equal so they bake evenly but you can eyeball it or use a table spoon.
- Allow the cookie some cooling time before digging in. Because the jam can be really hot.