As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Fried Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a PB&J version of grilled cheese sandwich and shouldn’t be confused with deep fried sandwich. The buttery crispy outside and gooey filling beats the classic version in my opinion. It’s easy to make and requires just a few ingredients. Read along and learn how to make it step by step.
Grilled or Fried Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich Recipe.
Make this delicious variation of the regular PBJ sandwich and thank me later. The buttery crusty outsides of the sandwich and it’s yummy filling is worth the little extra effort added to make it.
You can toast the bread before spreading the peanut butter and jelly on it if you prefer. However it won’t be the same as pan frying which is where it got it’s name in the first place.
- Bread: I used whole wheat bread, feel free to use any bread you like including low carb breads.
- Peanut butter: use natural peanut butter if you can because it has less sugar or no added sugar at all
- Jelly: Any jelly would work, grape, strawberry etc. You can also use my sugar free jelly.
- Butter: I prefer to use salted butter and I love It.
How to make fried PB&J sandwich.
There are 2 options when making fried pb and j sandwiches. To fill the sandwiches with the jelly and peanut butter then pan fry OR to pan fry the bread FIRST then fill.
Whichever way you choose to make it, it will still taste amazing. Note, You don’t need any oil to pan fry. The butter does that job.
Make it on the stove top
- Heat up a skillet, Spread butter on one side of 3 slices, place bread buttered side down on the skillet and let it toast the bread till golden on both sides.
- Take out bread from skillet, spread peanut butter on one side of bread and jelly on one side of a second slice then close the two slices to form sandwich. Repeat process for other slices.
- Alternatively spread peanut butter on one side of a slice, jelly on one side of second slice, cover to form a sandwich. Spread butter on the outsides and pan fry on a heated skillet until both sides are toasted.
Make it in the toaster
Toast the bread slices, spread butter one side of toasted bread then peanut butter on the other. Repeat process for a second slice but instead of peanut butter, spread jelly. Next cover slices to for a sandwich. Enjoy!
Make it in the Air fryer
You can make your grilled peanut butter sandwich in the air fryer by following the steps below.
- Butter one side of the bread, then put bread buttered side down in the air fryer basket, gently spread peanut butter on the plain side.
- Next spread jelly on one side of second slice of bread, then cover the slice in the air fryer with the jelly covered bread jelly side down.
- Gently spread butter on the top surface. Repeat process for another set of bread depending on how big your air fryer is.
- Place the air fryer rack over the sandwiches to prevent them from flying around if the air movement in the air fryer is too strong. This is unlikely to happen since the bread is held together by the filling but better safe than sorry.
- Air fry at 400°F for 4 mins then flip over and air fryer for 2 more minutes or to your desired level of toasted. Enjoy
Deep fried Vs Fried Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwich
Deep fried and pan fried PBJ sandwich are 2 different things. For the fried version, bread is smeared with butter, then pan fried till golden brown and crispy.
On the other hand, the fried one is a filled with PBJ, coated in batter and rolled in breadcrumbs and then deep fried in oil.
- I like to use natural peanut butter. Most natural peanut butters usually have a collection of oil on the surface. Stir it with a clean spoon to mix it evenly.
- You can also use homemade jam/ jelly.
- Are you on a keto or low carb journey? Swap out the bread for a good homemade or store bought low carb bread, swap out the jelly for sugar free jelly and use natural peanut butter
- Allergic to peanut butter? Use peanut butter alternatives.
More Sandwich Recipes
Did you enjoy this recipe or found it helpful, please leave me a comment and share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite facebook group.
Fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 Tablespoons Creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons grape or strawberry jelly
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- Spread butter on one side of 2 slices of bread.
- Place butter side down on heated skillet and toast bread till it’s golden brown.
- Take our pan fried bread, spread peanut butter on unbuttered side on one bread and jelly on the unbuttered side of the other. Then cover with with PBJ sides facing to make a sandwich.
- Slice diagonally to make triangles or horizontally to make rectangles or just eat it already 🙂
- Spread peanut butter on one side of a slice of bread, spread jelly on one side of another slice, then cover with the pbj sides facing.
- Next spread butter on the outer surface of the sandwich.
- Place the sandwich on a heated skillet butter side down. Then spread some butter on the side facing up.
- After about a minute flip the sandwich over to grill the other buttered side for another minute.
- Take it out, let it cool slightly then enjoy.
- You can cut it diagonally to make triangular sandwiches or horizontally to make rectangles or just eat it like that.
Make it in the Air fryer
- Follow method 2 above and air fry at 400F for 4 minutes.
- Flip over and air fryer for another minute.