As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is one of the easiest breakfast or snack recipe you can make. Making it a healthy sandwich will depend on some factors which will included the calories in the combination of ingredients used.
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich recipe, What it is and why make it.
PBJ sandwich is simply a sandwich with a peanut and jelly filling. If you’ve got nut allergies, this sandwich is definitely not for you. However you can swap out the peanut butter with your favor peanut butter alternative like sunflower butter to make a sunflower butter and jelly sandwich.
Now to why you should consider making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
- These sandwiches are super easy to make. The kids can help themselves.
- It’s a great addition to lunch boxes for kids and adults too.
- It’s a protein rich breakfast that can keep you fuller for longer.
Is it Healthy?
To be honest, this will depend on your health goals. The ingredients used would determine how healthy a PBJ sandwich is.
Peanut butter on its own is a healthy source of protein and fats. How ever the combination of peanut butter, the sugar (which is also carbs) in jelly, the carbs in bread might really not be a good combination for your waste line. I
t might be ok for younger kids with better metabolism and as an occasional treat. There are a number of ways to make a healthier version by swapping out ingredients see below.
Making a Healthier Version
- Peanut butter: Use natural peanut butter with no added sugars
- Bread: Use whole wheat bread instead of white bread. They have almost the same amount of calories however wheat bread has more fiber. You can also use a keto or low carb bread.
- Jelly: Use Sugar free jelly to cut down on the sugar.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Calories.
This will depend on a variety of factors like the type of bread, peanut butter or jelly used and how many servings.
In this recipe I used whole wheat bread. The calories amounted to 282 kcal per serving.
- Bread of choice: white bread, wheat bread or keto low carb breads
- Peanut butter: Crunchy or smooth. If you are allergic to nuts, use any of that listed peanut butter alternatives on this post.
- Jelly: Homemade Jelly or store bought will work. You can also use sugar free Jam to cut down on calories.
- Butter: You will need butter if you are making the grilled peanut butter sandwich variation.
How to make Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwich with Variations
Classic / Plain PBJ Sandwich
This is as the name implies, rub some peanut butter on one side of a slice of bread and jelly on one side of another slice.
There are a variety of alternatives to peanut that can be used to make a PBJ sandwich. However it would technically not be a peanut butter and jelly sandwich since a peanut butter alternative was used.
Bring the two slices together to make a sandwich with peanut and jelly sides facing thereby creating a PBJ filling.
Grilled Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
This is also called fried peanut nut and jelly sandwich and is simply the grilled cheese style of this sandwich without out the cheese. I have a full recipe of how to make fried PBJ sandwich. Feel free to check it out.
Peanut butter alternatives to use for this sandwich recipe.
- Sunflower butter: This is made from sunflower seeds
- Soy butter
- Almond butter: This is a great peanut butter substitute if you are not allergic to almonds.
- Peabutter: This is another peanut alternative that originated from Canada and is made from brown peas. I wasn’t able to find it online in the US. However I saw some in Canada.
- Consider swapping out ingredients if you are trying to lose weight. Like using whole wheat bread for more fiber or using a low carb bread.
- Use Peanut butter alternatives if you have allergies and want to enjoy something similar to this sandwich.
Other easy sandwiches
Did you enjoy this recipe or found it helpful, please leave me a comment and share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite facebook group.
Traditional Peanut butter and jelly sandwich recipe
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 Tablespoons Creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons grape or strawberry jelly
- Spread peanut butter on one side of a slice of bread
- Spread jelly on one side of another slice of bread
- Cover the slices with peanut butter and jelly sides facing to make a sandwich.
- Repeat till all the bread is used up. Then Cut off the edges if you like.