As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This is definitely the best sugar cookie ever. It totally has to be. It’s easy to make, takes little of your time, it’s delicious and crunchy.. what else could you possibly be looking for in a best sugar cookie recipe?
The best sugar cookie recipe
These sugar cookies are different from America’s no one favorite cookie which is the chocolate chip cookie. Those are on a different level. They are filled with chocolate chips and could be chewy or crisp depending on the recipe. You should check out my chocolate chip cut out cookies . They are my best sugar cookies recipe be-speckled with chocolate chips YUM ? Make sure to check it out before you leave, You will love it.
What’s the difference between the best sugar cookies and America’s favorite cookie?
The major difference besides the chocolate chip which in my opinion is America’s favorite cookie is the method these cookies are made.
The best sugar cookies are cut out cookies which means you roll them out and cut them into desired shapes and sizes using cookie cutters.
America’s favorite cookie is a drop cookie which means you scoop with a cookie dough and drop it in the cookie sheet or you mould into a ball and drop it on the cookie sheet and bake.
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links! Please read full disclosure here.
Have you ever baked before? If you haven’t and want to start, cookie making is a good place to start because it easy to make and almost always has consistent results even for a first timer. These sugar cookies are no fail and anyone can make them.
Why these cookies are the best sugar cookies ever.
- They are easy to make.
- They are delicious.
- They are crunchy.
- They are not time consuming. You don’t need to refrigerate dough before rolling out.
- It can easily be adapted to any flavor you want.
- They store very well both as cookie dough and as finished cookies.
How to make the best sugar cookie.
- Mix your ingredients to form the cookie dough.
- Roll out dough and cut into desired shape with your choice of cookie cutters.
- Transfer to lined Cookie sheet and bake to perfection.
Helpful Tips to make the Best Sugar Cookies ever
- Measure out your flour correctly. If using a scale measure exactly if using cups measure the flour the right way.*
- Use cold but not frozen butter. Butter should be soft but cold.
- Roll your cookies in small batches that way you are more likely to get even thickness
- Don’t over mix your dough. If you do the cookie may become too tough because gluten will be over activated
* How to measure flour correctly
If you scoop flour with your measuring cup straight out of your flour container your measurement won’t be accurate because if you dip it in a second time you will most likely get different measurements when both cups of flour are weighed on the scale. A scale is best used to measure flour when you are baking. So if you don’t have a scale simply get a measuring cup, a table spoon and a table knife.
- Use the a spatula or spoon to scoop out the flour from the flour container into the measuring cup. Don’t press let it drop in lightly.
- Repeat the process until your measuring cup is filled.
- Gently level off the excess flour on top without pressing down. That’s the way to measure flour accurately with a measuring cup.
I adapted this cookie from a holiday cookie book I bought few years back. I love it so much I hope you do too. That recipe had 2 1/2 cups of flour and needed to be refrigerated before rolling out. I realized that with addition of more flour, the dough is firm enough to be rolled out without refrigeration. Sometimes I use the exact recipe of 2 1/2 cups of flour especially when I would be baking next day but most times use 3 cups.
If you find you added too much flour add your dough is dry and crumbly, you can fix that by adding a little water or milk.?
If you enjoyed this post, sign up here for more recipes sent straight to your in box. Share this post with your family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group.
Oh well. Let’s get baking already?
Pin! Pin! Pin!
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
The Best Sugar Cookies
- 1 Cup 2 sticks salted butter (Room temp)
- 1 Cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract optional
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour divided 2 3/4 and 1/4
- White sanding sugar optional
- Mix the dry ingredients together except the sugar, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy
- Add the egg, vanilla and almond extract mix till combined.
- Mix in the the 2 3/4 cup flour 1 cup at a time till all the flour is well incorporated and dough comes together in a cohesive ball (Be careful not to over mix. ) If dough is sticky add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Roll out dough in between 2 parchment papers to about 1/4 in thick.
- Cut out to desired shapes with cookie cutters. Sprinkle some white sanding sugar in the cookies if using
- Transfer cookie cut outs to a lined baking sheet
- Bake in the middle rack for 10 -12 mins.
- Bring out of the oven and let cool for 5 mins on cookie sheet then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy with milk