Native Jollof Rice or Iwuk Edesi is a delicious ...
Vegetable rice is simply white rice with vegetables and is an easy way to turn a boring pot of white rice to something fun to eat. This rice recipe shouldn't be confused with vegetable fried rice which is what our nigerian fried rice recipe is. Simple recipes are always a delight to make and this easy dinner recipe is no different. Pair this with this African beef stew, or Nigerian Chicken stew or your favorite indian take out dish chicken tikka masala and you can't go wrong at all.
Vegetable Rice Recipe
This Vegetable rice recipe, (not to be cofused with vegetable fried rice) is an easy recipe for white rice with vegetables. Cooking rice this way may sound like a no brainer but I have learnt in life that no one knows it all.
What you might see as easy may be difficult for someone else so share your knowledge with kindness whenever you get the chance. You never know who needs it.
This particular recipe is a big deal for me because before I got married I never thought of cooking white rice this way. Meanwhile on the other hand this is the kind of white rice my hubby grew up. My mom added veggies like cauliflower to our white rice but I don't remember adding carrots and peas.
I learnt this style of white rice with colorful veggies from my mom-in-law. I was already used to other kinds of vegetable rice like, Vegetable fried rice aka my Nigerian fried rice and my Jollof rice with veggies.
Why you should be making this Vegetable rice
- The beauty of course. It's appealing to the eyes.
- You get to sneak your veggies in well not sneak per se lol.
- You could actually eat less rice than you ordinarily would have eaten if the rice was cooked alone.
[bctt tweet="How would you rather have white rice, Plain or Popping with colors? Check this out." username="mydiaspokitch"]
Ingredients needed for this recipe
- White Rice (Any type will do, Parboiled long grain rice, Jasmine rice, Basmati rice)
- String beans
*I used carrots and string beans for this recipe, you can use even more veggies like brocolli and cauliflower or even mixed frozen veggies that contain corn.
How to cook Vegetable Rice.( Rice with Vegetables)
This is an overview of the recipe, full instructions are on the printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
- Boil your rice See my how to boil rice perfectly without a rice cooker and how to cook the perfect basmati rice posts for guidance.
- Add Veggies.
Make ahead instructions and how to store.
This recipe can store for up to a week in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer. To store, let the rice cool completely, then store in an air tight microwave safe container. If freezing, you can store in a ziplock bag. Be sure you expel all the air from the bag before freezing to prevent freezer burn on the vegetables.
Another way to make this recipoe for storage in the freezer is to add the uncooked veggies (carrots and string beans) to the cooled rice and freeze. Dont worry the veggies will soften while reheating the rice.
Quick Recipe Notes and Tips
- Wash Rice till water runs clear. This helps to prevent sticky rice.
- Butter is an optional ingredient in this recipe and can be substituted with coconut oil or canola oil in the same amount.
Other Vegetable rice Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
Vegetable rice simply means rice cooked with some vefggies added. it could be plain white rice with veggies or vegetable fried rice.
Yes you can. make sure the rice cools completely then freeze in a microwaveable container for up to 3 month. To reheat, either let it thaw completely in the refridgerator or microwave from frozen.
No it's not. frozen cooked rice can be reheated safely.
Any type of veggies can be used including Cabbage, frozen mixed veggies, broccoli and green leafy vegetables like spinach and Kale.
Did you enjoy this recipe or found it helpful, please leave me a comment and share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite facebook group.
Click here to pin this recipe for later.
Vegetable white rice (White rice with vegetables)
- 2 cups Parboiled long grain rice I used Basmati
- 200 g String beans washed and cut up in 2 in sizes
- 200 g Carrots cleaned and cut up in cubes or thin slices
- ½ teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon butter optional
- Wash rice thoroughly till water runs clear.
- Transfer rice to a pot and add water, salt and butter if using.
- Bring rice to boil without the lid on and allow to cook for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in in the chopped veggies. Cover pot and allow to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and move pot away from hot burner. Leave pot covered for another 5 mins then fluff with fork.
- Serve hot or warm with any sauce or stew you like.
- Though butter adds flavor and gloss to rive with vegetables, it is optional and can be substituted with coconut oil or canola oil in the same amount.
- I like my veggies crunchy. If you prefer yours softer, add the vegetables earlier than I did.
- This rice is fully cooked and soft but not mushy. if you prefer a softer texture of rice than this, add extra ¼ to ½ cup of water to this recipe.
- You can use a variety of vegetables for this recipe, including cauliflower, broccoli etc.