As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
An Easy Shamrock Milkshake that will best McDonald’s Shamrock Shake any day. Homemade and available all year round. Are you curious to know what a Shamrock Shake is?
Read along and find out why this milkshake is so popular around this time of the year and learn how to make tin the comfort of your home with step by step instructions and photos included.
Click here to pin this easy shamrock shake recipe for later.
An Easy Shamrock Shake Recipe for you.
If you’re like my kids who love milkshakes and get excited for colored milkshakes, this recipe will definitely put a smile on your face. It’s easy to make and requires just a few ingredients.
This recipe is so easy that even older kids can make for their younger ones all year round not just on st Patrick’s day.
What is a Shamrock?
A Shamrock is a young plant used as the symbol of Ireland. St Patrick is said to have used it to describe the holy trinity (because of its 3 leaves)
The name shamrock in Irish is translated to mean young clover. A shamrock represents St Patrick’s day.
What is a Shamrock Shake?
A Shamrock Shake is a green mint based milkshake sold by McDonald’s as one of their limited edition recipes. It’s sold around St Patrick’s day. Sales of McDonald’s Shamrock shakes end about a week after St Patrick’s day.
The good news is that you don’t have to stop enjoying this limited edition milkshake because it’s not sold all year round. With this easy recipe, you can make McDonald Shamrock Shake recipe in the comfort of your home and at a fraction of the cost.
Shamrock Shake Calories
I know you may be wondering how many calories in a Shamrock Shake, you are not alone and I definitely got you covered on that.
Depending on the ice cream used, a homemade shamrock shake can contain between 150 to 350 calories. Store bought ice cream may have a lower calorie than homemade ice cream. Especially if you are using low calorie ice cream.
This recipe is made using my homemade vanilla ice cream. Therefore a serving of this shamrock shake has 298 calories without the whipped cream topping and 323 calories with the whipped cream topping.
How to make McDonald’s Shamrock Shake copycat
This is just an overview with step by step photos, a detailed recipe with instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Vanilla Ice cream* or Mint ice cream**
- Whole milk or heavy cream
- Whipped cream (for topping)
- Maraschino Cherries for topping
- Sprinkles (optional)
* * If you are using mint ice cream, you won’t need green food dye or mint extract.
Pic 1-3; Put Vanilla ice cream in the jar of blender, add milk and mint extract.
Pic 4-6; Add green food color, blend and serve topped with whipped cream and maraschino cherries.
If you love copycat recipes you would love this homemade McDonald’s Bacon,egg and cheese McGriddle recipe
McDonald’s celebrated the 50th anniversary of their popular Shamrock Shake this year. The auctioned an 18 carat gold milkshake cup and intend use the money received from the auction to Robert McDonald’s Charity
FAQs on McDonald’s Shamrock MilkShake
1. How much is a Shamrock Shake?McDonald’s Shamrock Shake costs between $2.19 (small size) to $2.99 (large size). The medium size is about $2.59
2. Can I make it with homemade ice cream. Yes you can make Shamrock Shake With homemade ice cream.
3. Can I make milkshake ahead? Milkshakes are best made fresh. It doesn’t take much time. There is really no need to make this ahead.
4. What kind of ice cream can I use? You can use a vanilla ice cream or a mint ice cream to make Shamrock milk shake.
5. I don’t have mint extract, can I use peppermint extract instead? Peppermint extract has a much more stronger mint flavor than mint extract. I personally prefer mint extract. If you don’t mind the strong menthol test you would get from a peppermint extract, you can use that instead.
6. Why is this called a Shamrock Shake? This recipe was developed by McDonald’s 50 years ago to celebrate St Patrick’s day and is sold as a limited edition milkshake around st Patrick’s day. The name was derived from the green used to Celebrate the day and the fact that a shamrock is the symbol of Ireland.
Other St Patrick’s day green desserts to try
- Mint Chocolate chip ice cream (you can make mint chocolate chip shamrock milk shake too)
- St Patrick’s day chocolate chip cookies with white chocolate chips, this green cookie is sure to steal the show.
- Avocado ice cream. Not just for Cinco de Mayo. This ice cream will soon become your favorite way to indulge.
Did you make this recipe or found it helpful? Share it with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group. Happy St Patrick’s day. Stay safe peeps.
PS: Enjoyed this Recipe? Share it so others can enjoy it too. Thank you 😊
Click here to Pin this recipe for later
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
McDonald's Shamrock Shake Copycat Recipe
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp mint flavor
- A drop of green food color* see notes.
- Whipped cream
- maraschino cherries
- Put vanilla ice cream in the jar of a bender, add milk of choice, mint flavor, and food color. Blend till smooth.
- Serve immediately topped with whipped cream and maraschino cherries.