The best homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream with the right amount of decadent chocolate chips and a soothing mint flavor. This easy no churn Shamrock ice cream is ready in about 15 mins, easy and perfect for any occasion.
A Mint chocolate chip ice cream will definitely steal the show in any gathering especially the all green st Patrick's day party. It's shamrock ice cream after all with some speckles of chocolate chips. This post will walk you through how to make this easy no churn ice cream recipe with step by step photos and a short video.
Table of Contents
- 1 Shamrock ☘️ Ice cream. What is it?
- 2 Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream Recipe
- 3 How many calories in mint Chocolate chip ice cream.
- 4 How to make mint Chocolate chip Ice cream recipe from scratch.
- 5 How to make Shamrock Shake.
- 6 Other St Patrick's Day Desserts (Green Desserts) to try.
- 7 Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream (Shamrock Ice cream)
Shamrock ☘️ Ice cream. What is it?
And no, there is no Shamrock ☘️ in it. What is a Shamrock? A Shamrock is a leaf used as a symbol Ireland, hence its representation of St Patrick's day.
Shamrock ice cream is a mint based green dessert associated with st Patrick's day. My no churn version is the easiest shamrock ice cream you will ever make. And no there is no Shamrock in it.
Over the years McDonald's Shamrock Shake has been served to customers for a limited time around St Patrick's day. With this recipe, your st Patrick day's desserts search is covered. Bonus! You can have a shamrock shake or a shamrock chocolate shake all year round.
Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream Recipe
Mint Ice cream is another name for Shamrock ice cream. The addition of chocolate chips to this easy no churn mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe takes it to another level that is worth the 6-8 hours freeze wait time required to make it firm and scoop-able. Looking for more st Patrick's day desserts? My Shamrock shake recipe and St Patrick's day cookies will interest you.
How many calories in mint Chocolate chip ice cream.
Depending on the ingredients used, the calories in mint chocolate chip ice cream may vary. This no churn mint Chocolate chip ice cream has calories 459 calories per serving and serves 8 people.
If you are making mint ice cream without the chocolate chips, the calories will be about 403 calories.
How to make mint Chocolate chip Ice cream recipe from scratch.
I like to start my no churn ice cream recipes with my favorite ice cream base. With that base, you can create any ice cream flavor you like. Before we get into the steps involved to make this easy ice cream let's gather our ingredients.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
** Note that this recipe calls for mint extract and not peppermint extract, they are two different things.
What is the difference between Mint extract and Peppermint extract, are they the same?
According to Imperialsugar.com, Mint is an umbrella term used for all plants in the Metha family which includes herbs like spearmint, peppermint, orange mint etc.
The difference in the two extracts is the amount of menthol. Peppermint extract has higher menthol content than mint extract.
Also mint extract contains both spearmint and peppermint while peppermint extract has just peppermint in it.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream Step by step photos
Pic 1-3, Add the salt, extracts and food color to the sweetened condensed milk.
Pic 4-6: left to right pic 4; stir the sweetened condensed milk to combine ingredients, pic 5 & 6; whip cream to stiff peaks
Pic 7-8: Pour Condensed milk mix into whipped heavy cream, stir to combine.
Pic 9-12; Add Chocolate chips, fold in, cover with cling film and freeze.
How to make Shamrock Shake.
To make one serving of Shamrock Shake, Simply add 1 cup of homemade mint ice cream to the jar of your blender, add ¼ cup (4 Tbsp) to 6 tablespoon of milk and blend. Top with whipped cream and some Maraschino cherries. That's it! Easy right?
What if I told you this can be more fun if you blitz the frozen mint chocolate chip ice cream instead and have a mint chocolate chip Shamrock Shake.
How to store homemade ice cream
Store homemade in an ice cream bowl tightly covered in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Other St Patrick's Day Desserts (Green Desserts) to try.
- Green marble cake (This Christmas marble cake can be adapted to suit st Patrick's day by using only green food color)
Did you find this recipe helpful? Share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group.
this so others too you
Click here to pin this mint chocolate chip ice cream (shamrock ice cream) recipe for later
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream (Shamrock Ice cream)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon mint extract
- ½ cup mini milk chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- a drop of green food color* see notes
- Pour in the cold heavy cream into a bowl. Whisk till medium to stiff peaks form (depending on your mixer it takes 5-7 mins) set aside
- Add the salt, mint extract, vanilla extract, and colors to the condensed milk and mix to combine.
- Pour the condensed milk mix into the whipped heavy cream and fold in till evenly combined.
- Fold the mini chocolate chips.
- Transfer ice cream into a 2 Quart container and freeze for 6 to 8 hrs or overnight.
- Serve topped with more mini Chocolate chips
- I didn't have a mint green color so I used a drop of yellow and a drop of blue from Wilton's color system.
- The use of color is optional. I use it because in my opinion it makes the ice cream look minty.
- You can decide to whisk the heavy cream, condensed milk, the extracts and salt together at the same time till firm peaks form, then mix in the colors and the chocolate chips. (I do that occasionally) It works as well. But for illustration purposes, I prefer to make it in the steps stated above.
- You can whip your cream first, then mix the condensed milk before folding in or vice versa.
- If using a stainless still bowl, chilling the bowls and whisk helps the heavy cream whip up faster.
- I highly recommend mini chocolate chips for this recipe.