As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Creamy, decadent and absolutely dreamy ube ice cream is an ice cream recipe you should be making this summer. Take your taste buds on a great adventure with this favorite Filipino dessert. Ditch Vanilla ice cream for now and try this purple yam ice cream and you would be glad you did.
With just 3 ingredients, a hand or stand mixer , and 20 mins of your time, you have your homemade dessert ready to be enjoyed. Forget about searching for ‘ube ice cream near me’ on google and let me show you how to make the best ube ice cream with step by step photos included.
Ube Ice cream Recipe
Like I mentioned earlier, no kidding. This is the ice cream you should be making this summer.
What is Ube?
Ube also known as purple yam is a root vegetable that was originally from the Philippines but in now cultivated worldwide.
It has a sweetish nutty taste and is usually said to taste like vanilla and pistachios. Hmmm…. does that sound yum to you cos It sounds yummy to me.
It’s no wonder it’s a popular feature in Filipino desserts. It is used in cakes, ice creams, brownies, cheesecakes and lots more.
Ube and Taro are both root vegetables but shouldn’t be confused with each other. Taro has an off whitish colored flesh and is used mainly in savory dishes while Purple yam has a purplish colored flesh and is used in sweet dishes.
Is Ube healthy? What are the health benefits of Ube?
Ube is a starchy root vegetable that has some good health benefits.
- They are highly nutritious and are packed full of antioxidants like anthocyanin and vitamin C, which may protect against cell damage and cancer
- It may help manage blood sugar levels because of the presence of flavonoids in purple yam. Purple yams have a Glycemic Index (GI) of 24 which means the carbs are not broken down into sugars rapidly. Therefore won’t cause a blood sugar spike.
- May promote gut health
- They contain antioxidants that may help control blood pressure.
Read more on the health benefits of Purple yam in this article.
Required ingredients for this recipe.
How to make homemade Ube ice cream two ways
This is just an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Full ingredients list and instructions is at the recipe card below
No Churn Ube ice cream can be made in two ways.
Method one: This method uses Ube extract which adds the flavor and color of the Ube vegetable but not the vegetable itself.
Method two: This method uses the Ube vegetable as one of its ingredients. Cook and puree the ube, then add vanilla extract and ube extract to it before mixing with the condensed milk. Finally, fold it into the whipped cream.
Step by step photos
Pic 1 to 3; Vanilla extract, salt and Ube extract are added to the condensed milk in the bowl
Pic 4; All ingredients mixed together. Pic 5 & 6; Whip the heavy cream to medium peaks form
Pic 7; Add Condensed milk mix to the whipped cream. Pic 8; Fold in till uniformly incorporated. Pic 9; transfer to an ice cream bowl or 9 by 5 loaf pan, seal tightly with cling film and freeze for up to 6 hrs.
I know you love homemade ice cream. I do too and I have some more to share check them out below.
Other No Churn Ice cream recipes on the blog.
Did you find the post helpful, leave me a comment and share the link to this post with your family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group.
this so others too you
this delightfulcream recipe forto
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
Ube ice cream recipe
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cup cold heavy cream
- 1/2 to 1 Tbsp Ube extract
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Transfer sweetened condensed milk into a bowl, add the vanilla extract, salt and Ube extract. Mix to combine.
- Pour cold heavy cream into a bowl, whip till medium to stiff peaks form.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk mixture to the whipped heavy cream. Fold in gently till evenly combined.
- Transfer ice cream to an ice cream bowl. Seal with cling film. Make sure film is touching the surface of the ice cream. Freeze for 6 - 8 hrs.
- Serve with sprinkles if you like.
- Ube ice cream remains slightly softer than my other no churn ice cream recipes on the blog therefore it can be served immediately it comes out of the refrigerator.
- Ube ice cream is very tasty. Don't be tempted to add more than 1 Tbsp of ube extract to this recipe except you are doubling the recipe. (While recipe testing I found the extract to leave an aftertaste when a lot is added.)