Native Jollof Rice or Iwuk Edesi is a delicious ...
Peppered fried Fish? Yes! Yes! and Yes! again? An Easy fried fish Recipe that anyone can make and enjoy. Serve it with chips, eat as, this one of my favorite ways to eat fish. That says a lot coming from someone who doesn't eat fish often. Looking for some Lenten recipe inspiration, look no further than this easy fish recipe and I am more than happy to show you exactly how to make it.
Spicy Peppered Fried Fish Recipe.
Fish is a healthy form of protein, unfortunately some people like myself have a food aversion to fish and most seafood which I have been trying to work on lately after having the following conversation with my first daughter.
The truth is that parents have a lot influence on their charges. They tend to do as you do and not do as you say. After that I started making a conscious effort add more delicious fish recipes to the family menu and this peppered fried fish. Now she enjoys some fish like this baked salmon.
Best fish to fry
Some fishes are very good for frying. Some of them include. I prefer to use croaker fish or bass in my cooking because it has less of the fishy smell (the reason for my food aversion to seafood.)
- Crocker fish
How to make Peppered Fried Fish (How to fry fish)
If you some time on your hands, you can marinade the fish. If you don't you can skip the marinade. For fish that have the fishy smell, you might want to marinade because the lemon in the marinade helps to absorb the odor.
If using the Marinade, add lemon juice and salt to the fish, cover and marinate for 30 mins to an hour then fry fry fry!
After frying, toss toss toss in the peppered sauce and that's it.
How long to fry fish
The length of time needed to fry fish will depend on the thickness of the fish. Some times you need to fry for 3-5 minute￼s on each side to be repeated if necessary.
How to know if your fish is done.
The fist usually floats to the top of the oil when it's ready and the color stops being translucent.
What to serve Peppered Fried fish with
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of lent when Christians fast in preparation for Easter. Usually meat is one the foods the Catholic faithful abstain from during lent as a form of sacrifice especially on Fridays. That's why fish recipes are very popular around this period.
Fish can be served with a variety of dishes One of the recipes enjoyed during this period especially on Good Friday is Frejon (creamy black bean soup) some other recipes to eat with fish include:
- Fried Plantain
Make ahead and how to store.
Fried fish can be made up to 3 days ahead and kept in the refrigerator. If you intend to store longer than 3 days, I'd recommend freezing it.
For best results make the sauce on the day you need to use the peppered fish and toss reheated fried fish in sauce. Serve immediately.
Let the fried fish cool completely on a rack, then wrap each fish tightly in a cling film, put all in a ziplock bag and freeze. If you have space you can freeze on a baking sheet before putting in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to one month
Let fish thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. For reheating, I recommend either use oven or air fryer (especially if it's frozen). This will ensure it stays crisp. Reheating fried fish in the microwave can make it soggy.
Lenten season ends next week and since I already shared the Frejon recipe, which is a Good Friday delight, I decided to share this easy and tasty peppered fish recipe that goes absolutely well with it.
More Easy fish recipes to try
- Baked Salmon
- Salmon salad
Did you try this recipe? I Would love for you to rate it and tell me what you think in the comment section. You can share your amazing creations with me by posting on instagram with
Click here to Pin this fried fish recipe for later.
Easy and Super Tasty Peppered Fish
- 1500 g of croaker fish or fish of choice cleaned washed and patted dry.
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 large red bell peppers chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers chopped
- 1 large onion chopped in rings
- 1 teaspoon bouillon powder
- 3- 4 habanero peppers
- 1 small tomato
- 4 tablespoon Oil
- 2 cups of oil for deep frying
- Mix lemon juice and salt
- In a clean bowl, mix fish and marinade together then transfer into a freezer bag and put in the fridge.
- Allow the fish to marinade for 30 mins to an hour
- After the marinade, heat up oil and deep fry the fish at least 3 mins on each side.
- Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel to help absorb excess oil.
- Blend tomato and habanero pepper with as little water as possible and set aside
- While fish is marinating, heat up 4 tablespoon of oil, sauté onions.
- Pour in the tomato pepper mix.
- Fry for about a minute
- Then add the chopped red and green bell peppers. and the bouillon powder.
- Stir fry for another two minutes on low heat. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Then turn off heat.
- After frying the fish, transfer to another tray then pour this sauce over the fish and mix gently to prevent the fish from breaking apart.
- Serve with chips
- Serve in stew
- Serve with frejon